David Stevens is a consultant and former Executive Director (1993-2015) of The Jacob France Institute in the Merrick School of Business.
Consultant roles include research conducted on behalf of The Urban Institute, The Manpower Demonstration Research Corporation; Mathematica Policy Research, Inc.; Abt Associates, Inc; the Bureau of Labor Statistics in the U.S. Department of Labor; the National Occupational Information Coordinating Committee; the Planning and Evaluation Service in the U.S. Department of Education; the Administration for Children and Families in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; the National Institute on the Education Quality of the Workforce at the University of Pennsylvania; and the National Institute for Research in Vocational Education at the University of California, Berkeley.
Research sponsors include research and evaluation units in the U.S. Department of Labor, the U.S. Department of Education, the U.S. Department of Commerce, Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation, Maryland Department of Human Resources and the Governor’s Workforce Investment Board.
- Upper Shore WIB Employment & Business Dynamics: 2004-2008 (May 5, 2009)David Stevens and Ting Zhang, In partnership with the Office of Workforce Information and Performance, DLLR
- Data Confidentiality Presentation Association of Public Data Users 2007 Conference (October 25, 2007)David Stevens
University of Baltimore
“Accessing Confidential State Administrative Records” (Powerpoint)
- Peter R. Mueser, David W. Stevens and Kenneth R. Troske (October 2007). The Impact of Welfare Reform on Leaver Characteristics, Employment and Recidivism: An Analysis of Maryland and Missouri. IZA Discussion Paper No. 3131, 62 pages. Bonn, Germany: Institute for the Study of Labor.
- David W. Stevens (November 10, 2007). The Other Side of the Labor Market: The Importance of Access to Business Data in Policy Making. Discussant at 29th Annual Research Conference, Association for Public Policy Analysis Management (APPAM), Washington, D.C.
- Repeated and Combined Participation in Workforce, Education and Social Program Services: Preliminary Evidence from Maryland Administrative Data Sources
David Stevens & Ting Zhang
- A Guide to the Use of Administrative Records to Achieve Data Quality Standards in Federal Reporting of CTE Performance – September 2006
- 21st Century Accountability: Perkins III Columbus, OH: The Ohio State University, National Dissemination Institute for Career and technical Education, Institute on Education and Training for Employment, 79 pp.
- Getting a Job Is A First Step: What Should Follow? (forthcoming), Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Workforce Security, 20pp.
- “Changing Caseloads: Macro Influences and Micro Composition” (September 2001), Economic Policy Review, 7:2, New York, NY: Federal Reserve Bank of New York, pp 37-51, (with Robert A. Moffitt)
- “Jobs, Workers and Changes in Earnings Dispersion” (2001), Discussion Paper 491, London, UK: London School of Economics and Political Science, Centre for Economic Performance, 36pp. (with Simon Burgess and Julia Lane)
- “Churning Dynamics: an analysis of hires and separations at the employer level,” Labour Economics, 8:1 (January 2001): 1-14 (with Simon Burgess and Julia Lane)
- “The Reallocation of Labour and the Lifecycle of Firms,” Oxford Bulletin of Economic and Statistics, 62 (December 2000): 885-907 (with Simon Burgess and Julia Lane
- “Welfare-to-Work Outcomes: The Role of the Employer,” Southern Economic Journal, 67:4 (October 2000): 1010-1021 (with Julia Lane)
- “Job Flows, Worker Flows, and Churning,” Journal of Labor Economics, 18:3 (July 2000): 473-502 (with Simon Burgess and Julia Lane).”Worker and Job Flows,” Economic Letters, 51 (1996), pp. 109-113 (with Julia Lane and Simon Burgess)
- “Vocational Education Accountability in a Block Grant World,” in Garth Mangum and Stephen Mangum (eds.), Of Heart and Mind: Social Essays in Honor of Sar Levitan, Kalamazoo, MI: Upjohn University Institute Press, 1996, pp. 131-153
- “Experiences of High School Graduates in finding Employment,” in Albert Pautler (ed.), Contemporary Issues in School to Employment Transition, Ann Arbor MI: Prakken Publications, 1993, pp. 73-83
- “The Case for Revising U.S. Occupational Classification Taxonomies,” in Report 833, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Proceedings of the International Occupational Classification Conference, Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Labor, 1993, pp. 212-234
- Occupation Information: The Blue Highways of Labor Market Information, Washington, D.C.: National Occupational Information Coordinating Committee, August 1993, 42pp
- Mapping investments in workforce development initiatives by local philanthropic foundations, identification of overlaps and gaps in current funding flows, and development of a strategic plan for coordination of future investments-JFI funding from the Abell Foundation; in partnership with Jobs for the Future, funded by the Annie E. Casey Foundation; and in association with the Association of Baltimore Area Grantgivers.
- Public secondary and postsecondary education outcomes in Maryland (co-investigator with Treva Stack)-JFI funding from the Maryland Association of Community Colleges; the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation; the Maryland State Department of Education; and the University System of Maryland.
- The impact of local economic conditions on work and welfare decisions in Maryland (co-investigator with Jane Staveley and Chris Herbst)-JFI funding from the Maryland Department of Human Resources
- The Impact of Local Labor Market Conditions on Work and Welfare Decisions: Revisiting an Old Question Using New Data
by Chris Herbst and David Stevens, November 2007
- Maryland Welfare Recipient Participation in Work is Limited by the Number of Local Hires in Traditional Industries
by Chris Herbst and David Stevens, September 2007
- Before and After TANF Temporary Cash Assistance Caseload Dynamics: Profiles of Women Born in 1967 or 1977 (pdf)
David Stevens, Chris Herbst, August 21, 2006
- Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006, Core Indicators of Performance: Administrative Record Opportunities and Challenges (July 2006), 8 pp. (pdf)
David Stevens, July 2006
- New Information to Promote Successful Job Search by Temporary Cash Assistance Recipients (pdf)
David Stevens, Jane Staveley July 18, 2006
- Raising the Bar: Opportunities to Build on the EBMC Workforce Development Foundation (pdf)
David Stevens, March 1, 2005
- Meeting the Needs of Businesses and Workers in the 21st Century: Proceedings of a Joint United States and European Union Seminar U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of International Labor Affairs European Commission Employment & Social Affairs, February 2004:
US Public Workforce System David W. Stevens
- Responsible Use of Administrative Records for Performance Accountability: Features of Successful Partnerships Prepared for Division of Research and Demonstration Office of Policy and Research Employment and Training Administration U.S. Department of Labor (pdf)
David Stevens, January 2003
- Occupational Skills Training in Maryland: A Study of Earnings Trends, prepared for Governors Workforce Investment Board (pdf)
David Stevens, January 2003
- Maryland Applied Information Technology Initiative (MAITI): Employment and Earnings Profiles of MAITI Program Graduates (pdf)
David Stevens, January 2003
- Welfare to Work Policy: Getting a Job is a First Step – What Should Follow (pdf)
David Stevens, July 2001
- Changing Caseloads: Macro Influences and Micro Compositions (pdf)
Robert Moffit and David Stevens November 2000.
- The Case for Revising U.S. Occupational Classification
Reissuance of September 1993
- The Impact of Policy Research on Labor Market Policy Formulation (pdf)
David W. Stevens and Ernst Stromsdorfer, May 1978
- State Industry Specific Training Programs – 1986 (pdf)
David Stevens 1986. Re-released September 2003
- Employment Projections for Planning Vocational -Technical Education Curricula: Mission Impossible? (pdf)
1976 – David Stevens Re-released December 2003